Today, the Biden-Sanders Unity Task Force submitted their platform recommendations to the DNC Platform Committee on issues related to climate change, criminal justice reform, the economy, education, health care, and immigration. In response, Human Rights Campaign President Alphonso David issued the following statement:
“The Biden-Sanders Unity Task Force recommendations prove this upcoming platform will be among the most, if not the most, pro-equality platform from any party in our history.
“These recommendations also clearly contrast with the virulently anti-LGBTQ Republican platform — a poorly considered copy and paste job they didn’t even bother to update for our day and age. Trump, Pence and their allies have made no secret of their years-long campaign to dehumanize LGBTQ people and strip away our rights.
“The Biden-Sanders Unity Task Force recommendations would help us turn the page and build a better, stronger future for all LGBTQ people.”
The Biden-Sanders Unity Task Force recommendations include the following:
- Condemnation and a commitment to reverse the Trump administration’s move to revise the regulation implementing 1557 of the Affordable Care Act to undermine nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ patients.
- Clarifying that federal health plans are required to provide coverage for HIV/AIDS treatment and HIV prevention medications like PrEP and PEP, gender confirmation surgery, and hormone therapy.
- Commitment to enacting strong protections for LGBTQ people in housing and combatting homelessness which disproportionately impacts LGBTQ people
- Reinstatement of Title IX guidance regarding schools’ obligations to transgender students
- Restoration of funding for Planned Parenthood which provides critical health care services for thousands of LGBTQ people across the country
- Mandate that the Inspectors General (OIG) conduct an investigation into immigration enforcement spending, detention determinations, detention conditions and practices, including whether there are policies that discriminate against black and brown immigrants and other instances of racial, ethnic, religious, and LGBTQ+ bias
Powered by WPeMatico